Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
The Taylor Police Department has hired Priscilla Moreno as its first Victim Services Coordinator. Moreno attained a Bachelor of Arts Degree from St. Edward’s University in Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Global Studies. She has a total of four years’ experience in victim services, to include two years as a Victims Assistance Volunteer for Williamson County and two years as a full-time Victims Assistance Unit Caseworker for the Williamson County Sheriff’s Department. She is fluent in Spanish and began working for the Taylor Police Department on December 29, 2017.
The Taylor Police Department (TPD) was awarded a grant for more than $73,000 from the Office of the Governor’s Criminal Justice Division to help fund a new position of Victim Services Coordinator. The purpose of the Victim Services Program is to provide assistance directly to victims of crime to speed their recovery and aid them through the criminal justice process. The grant will fund 80 percent of the total project cost, with Taylor providing the remaining 20 percent of the total project cost of cash or in-kind contributions, as required by the grant guidelines, equal to $18,264.
The annual grant allows TPD to support victims of crime by providing services that may include the following: responding to the emotional and physical needs of crime victims, assist them in stabilizing their lives after victimization, help them navigate through the Criminal Justice System and its public proceedings as a result of the crime, provide strategies to avoid re-victimization and break the cycle of violence, and to provide victims with a safety plan.
“We are pleased to be able to hire Priscilla Moreno for this new position,” said TPD Chief Henry Fluck. “Ms. Moreno brings experience as a Victims Services Case Worker to our Police Department. In addition, her experience is in Williamson County where she has already established partnerships with the other important victims advocacy organizations such as the Child Advocacy Center, Hope Alliance (Shelter), the District Attorney and County Attorney Victims Assistance program, and the other city’s Police Departments Victim Services Coordinators (i.e., Round Rock, Cedar Park, Georgetown, and Leander). The hiring of Ms. Moreno in this grant funded position will allow us to improve our services to the residents of Taylor who need it the most: victims of violent crime,” added Chief Fluck.
City Council approved the TPD efforts last February to submit the grant application, as well as future applications for 2018 and 2019.